Sunday, March 9, 2008

It's true...

I am super lazy. I do not blog nearly as much as I should, thank you, Beth. I need to start calling you my Blog-Conscience. I guess I never feel like I have that much to say, unless something big happens. But here goes.
Cristian just got home yesterday from a 2-week internship in Denver. Now, he goes out of town for various reasons a few times a year, therefore, leaving me home alone. I actually do just fine with this. I have always been good with entertaining myself, and "alone time," so as much as I miss him, I always use those days/weeks to watch movies I know he won't watch with me, and read good books.
The only thing I am not so good at is going to bed by myself. I am more or less ok, but I am really good at freaking myself out when I am in bed at night, and so at least one night when he is gone, I give myself a good scare. Before I go to bed, no problem. But as soon as I am at bedtime, I can go a little crazy. First, I lock myself in my room, when we never even close our bedroom door at night when we are both here. Then, as I read my scriptures, or whatever, you bet I am always listening for sounds, foot steps in the hall, etc. We even have an alarm system which pretty much guarantees that there is no one in the house but me, but I still do it anyway.
The first time he left town after we got married, one night I was so freaked out I took our butcher knife and stuck it underneath our bed. True story.
But, probably the best was just 2 weeks ago, right after he left, his parents were still in town with me and we watched this ghost show called "the Paranormal State" on A&E. I totally believe in ghosts and spirits, and after the second episode, I was sufficiently frightened of bad, angry spirits. Long story short, I not only locked myself in my bedroom, but I slept with my bathroom light on. I was very grateful that I was not alone in the house that night. Seriously, I am a 10 year-old sometimes. I need a night light.

7 comments:

Beth said...

oh, nicole!! I am the same way! When Garrett is gone, I have the kids sleep in my room with me, and leave all the backyard lights on. I shut all doors in the house, I mean, I could go on and on. And, this is also having an alarm. Even when he goes to play bball late, I pile up pillows on his side of the bed, so all the peeping toms outside our windows can't see me. Totally agree, nothing worse than when they are gone! I love that you lock yourself in your room! Never thought of that!

Hillary said...

Hey Nicole- I just came across your blog. I am the same way when my husband is out of town. I have no idea why on the nights he's gone I feel like someone will break in. Don't feel bad about the knife. I keep a Louisville Slugger in our bedroom! Hope all is well.
Hillary Yeend Bennett

Nicole said...

oh that is hilarious!!! i am the exact same way!!! before we had kids, i'd lock me and the dog in our bedroom and put a chair against the door, mase by my bed, nightlight on. and you know, i'm still just as bad with kids... i keep telling myself to "be the grown up/don't be afraid of the dark/be strong for the girls." i can't lock myself in my room anymore, and i doubt a big sleepover in mommy's bed would work either.... SO i keep bedroom/bathroom lights on, tvs on all night when he's gone. it's crazy! :)

D-dawg said...

Nicole, I am so sorry! I can feel your pain. I once had my dad drive up and sleep over when Dave was gone. It is a 45 minute drive for him but he came and it helped and I felt like a baby. But there are real reasons to be scared!!! Bad things happen these days. Anyway, thanks for the laugh.

Trent and Kristi said...

Nicole I am REALLY mad at you. I blame you single handedly for the night I had last night. You see, I read your blog post yesterday, and with my husband working nights I am home during the weeknights by myself. It hasn't really bothered me that much. Once in a while I will hear a wierd noise and get freaked out, but most of the time I never think about it.....Well last night was awful! I had nightmares that were seriously EVIL and made me have night sweats and lay awake for a better part of the night. Today I have the following items prepared for when I go to sleep: My cell phone by my bed in case I have to call 911, my husband's super powered Bear Pepper spray that he got when we went to Yosemite (it probably would blind a human), and the taser my husband bought for me that I have never even looked at. And I kept going over scenarios about what if someone came in, would I hide in my room or Kami's room? Would I get her and hide in my closet?

So thank you...now I am super paranoid. And the problem is, it's my husband's job to work at night and that's not going to change anytime soon, so I better get over this paranoia!

....But maybe it's a good thing I read your blog because at least now I am PREPARED if someone came in - Bear spray and taser and all!

Missy said...

You crack me up. I so miss getting to visit you. It was nice to see you on Sunday. Yes, I just saw you, didn't have a chance to say hi.

Anonymous said...

nicole...i'm so so glad that i'm not the only one! when jer is working i sleep with all the lights on in the house. i did feel a little better after we got a dog because i know he will bark if he hears anything weird. so if i hear something & he still just sits there, i know it's nothing. i still keep a knife in my closet though :)