Friday, March 28, 2008

jet-setting couple?

Well, today I am off to LA for a Teacher's Conference for the vocal organization I am a part of. I will learn all about ways to improve my teaching, which I am very much looking forward to. I really won't know anyone, so most likely I will be playing it stag all weekend, but I am ok with that. I tried to get Cristian to come with me since he would get to see some good friends while I am in classes, and it would be fun to have him along in general. He is my husband, after all; I like to hang out with him on occasion. But he has too much going on at school and just can't get away. Such is the life of a graduate student in the Theater Arts. Always weekend work.

But I realized this morning that most of the time when we are out of town, it is either one or the other of us. We very rarely get to go somewhere together, usually because one of us is tied up at home, or we are not invited. By that I mean, for example, Cristian's 2 week internship he just completed in Denver. We probably go somewhere together twice, maybe three times a year, out of all the other times when one of us is gone. That happens to be a lot, between the two of us. Just this last month, C went to Denver for 2 weeks, was home for a week, then Houston for a week, now he is home, and I leave today for the weekend. That is a lot in one month, even for us. But this summer he will spend 2 months in Oklahoma working at a theater there. Obviously, I can't go with him since I have a job here and other responsibilities. I will go visit him a few times, and other than that, I have a few other trips planned on my own while he is gone. I figure, if he is gone anyway, I might as well make the best of it and enjoy myself.

Does this solo-traveling seem weird? We never think about it I guess because if we could we would go together, but we just do what we have to do. We are both pretty independent people, and by now we are used to it, so it's not a problem, just interesting.
Don't get me wrong. I miss him when we are apart, absolutely. The really important times, like weddings and family reunions, we go together, no question.
It just hit me today how busy we both are. I am totally rambling now, so I guess I am done.

2 comments:

chats said...

NICOLE. Now at last I've found you...isn't that a song. I've wondered what happened to you and wondered were life has taken you. It's great that you are teaching voice, you're so talented and have so much to offer. It's nice to find a blast from the past. It brings back so many memories! So, unless you plan to go private (now that you have a crazy woman checking your blog) it will be nice to get little glimpses into your life.

chats said...

I just realized my link doesn't show who I am. Sorry, this is Brynn.