Sunday, November 30, 2008

So Thankful...

I love this season. My sister Carolynn sent us an early Christmas present. It was a plain wreath with a bunch of harvest-y picks. Throughout the month, Cristian and I were supposed to take turns saying things we are thankful for and put a pick in the wreath, so by Thanksgiving it is full. It was a little rough just because C is not home much these days, but we did it and it was a great reminder to be thankful throughout the season, not just on the Day. Thanks, Carolynn, for helping us start a family tradition that I already love.

A few other things...

1. I am so thankful for my husband. He is kind, funny, hard-working, compassionate, patient (mostly with me), grounded, and above all, GOOD. He has such a good heart. I am so glad to be married to Cristian, and I am so thankful he chose me. I can't imagine my life without him.

2. My job. I work at an alternative medicine office with 3 doctors and 2 massage therapists. Cristian and I get free care, which has come in very handy since my back went out a year ago. I am now undergoing treatments for free that would cost someone else hundreds of dollars. My main concern is having a healthy enough back to be pregnant, and avoid surgery if possible, and the care I have access to here is helping me toward that goal. I also get good pay, vacation time, paid holidays, and work 4 days a week, who can complain?

3. My family. Both sides of it. I have a great family, and wonderful parents who taught me all the good things I know in life. My siblings are awesome, and I never tire of spending time with them. We are surprisingly close for such a big, spread out bunch, but we love each other and would do anything for each other. I am also grateful for the family I married into. They made Cristian into the great man he is, and welcomed me with open arms. They are wonderful people who we don't see enough.

4. My Aunt and Uncle, Tom and Ruth Pooler, and cousins Emily and Ben Montague, and Brooke Duke and her boys Connor and Wyatt. They live here and have adopted us into their circle, for which I will be forever grateful. Before living here, I saw them once a year, now, all the time, and it is wonderful. We celebrate everything together, birthdays and holidays, and other times too. We love to be together, and they have especially embraced Cristian, and that makes me love them even more.

5. The Gospel. I don't know where I would be without it. It has shaped me way beyond what my parents taught. I have long since developed my own testimony, with my own trials and triumphs to go along with that. I am grateful for Jesus Christ, who died for me. He knows me, and that brings me so much comfort I can't even begin to say.

6. Cristian's schooling. It has been hard, and a long road for us. But we are almost done, he graduates in May with an MFA. This will open so many doors for him, and for our family.

7. My talents.

8. Job Openings. Thanks goodness there are some out there. Now we just have to get hired in one of them. Just one. Please.

Happy Late Thanksgiving everyone, and remember as we step into the Christmas season, to still be thankful!

9 comments:

Becca said...

Nicole...I don't know why, but I just loved this entry. Maybe just because it's you, and you are delightful to me. Miss you!

Brooke said...

Wow, you are amazing. I love your list of what you are thankful for and we are so thankful for YOU & Cristian in our lives! I was so happy you and C could come on Friday and be part of the good times! I have really enjoyed spending time with you both while you have lived here!!! Our treat!

Melissa said...

Sure love you, Nicole! I'm grateful we're family.

Unknown said...

Hi. I apologize in advance for the blog intrusion...but, I hope you'll understand. I have been searching for the audio of the Christmas story of Dansel, the lazy elf for years! We used to have it on a vinyl record, which was lost at some point long ago. I was searching the web and came across your mention of this in your blog post from Dec, 2007.
If there is any way to obtain a copy of that song by CD-R or mp3 or anything, I would be extremely grateful. There is another site on the web dedicated to old Christmas records and there are people on there searching for it as well.

Nicole said...

Dear Evan:
Dansel Lovers unite! I never thought I would talk to someone else who knows about that little guy. Our family quotes that record all the time. Sadly, the people who have married into our family are not as enthralled. I guess you have to grow up with it. Anyway, a long time ago, my brother recorded a tape of the record, then a few years ago, another brother made a cd of that tape. Record sounds and all, it is beautiful. If you want to give me your email, I could put you into contact with him. Or, you could hop onto Becca's blog that you see in the above comments. She is my sister in law and helped with the cd-making. She and my brother David may be able to help you out. Until then, keep the love alive.

Nicole B.

Unknown said...

Hi I'm also looking for a CD or the album or tape with Dansel the lazy elf. If anyone knows contact cobbcountyjoe at yahoo dot com

Thanks you and Happy Holidays

Unknown said...

I never thought I'd find anyone else who'd listened to Dansel the lazy elf! I'd be thrilled to get a copy to surprise my family with this Christmas. If anyone sees this message, please email me relevant information at kimmurphy18@gmail.com. I'd be soooo grateful!

Margaret said...

I grew up listening to dansel and the visit to santa's workshop with my dad. When he passed away the tape was lost. Now years later I'm trying to find a way to reach down the memories. If anyone sees this message and has any info I would be so grateful. My email is momorgand@gmail.com.

Thanks so much and merry Christmas!

Amy said...

I am looking for Dansel the Lazy Elf too!!! FOREVER!! My memory of it was from an 8 track. "Oh no Dansel! You're asleep again!" It was such a magical story for me! It has been so many years! I would absolutely LOVE to have it again! I'm adding my email to request info on how I can get a copy. Thank you!! amyrussell_lds@yahoo.com