Sunday, November 2, 2008

We gotta get outta here

Ok, I know this is my third post today, but I guess I have a lot to say. Make sure you scroll down to my other posts of the day. So before we lived in our home here in North Las Vegas, we lived in an apartment on the east side of town. Some would say that area is a little bit of the ghetto, but we felt just fine there. We just had a few crazy experiences with people coming to our place in the middle of the night, knocking on the windows, etc. One time some kind of transgender/transvestite/not really sure what arrived in the middle of the night. Sweet. In our new home, we have been fine for the most part, just one attempted break-in (we weren't home) for which we got a house alarm.
Last night, we were in bed and about 3am woke up to some pounding on our front door. Of course we jumped out of bed and Cristian went to see what it was, muttering, "I thought we left these experiences at our old apartment." Let me say that when people have come in the middle of the night, it is always Cristian who checks it out, and leaves me in the protection of our home, but this time he told me to get dressed and come in case we had to desparately push our door shut against intruders. Great. I was terrified and went and got our butcher knife from the kitchen. Anyway, it was a kid, probably in his early twenties, with blood all over his head, saying he had been jumped by 8 guys and woke up in our neighborhood, could we please call 911? He was wearing a bathrobe, said he had been at a lingerie party, and he was in the Air Force. He was definitely still drunk, but also clearly in need of help. Cristian called 911. We stayed with him (whate else would we do, he was bleeding all over our front porch) until the police came. At one point on of the paramedics was talking to him and he slumped over and fell out of the chair we had brought out onto the ground. Just blacked out, whether from alcohol or shock, I don't know. I think he really was in the Air Force, because he went into military mode and answered with "Sir" puntuating every sentence as if he was being drilled. The paramedic was nice enough to clean the blood off of our porch, and we got it off the wall next to the door. It must have been from his hand. He was bleeding a lot.
I felt really bad for him once I knew there was no danger to us, but I certainly don't need that experience ever again. I am not saying that all of Vegas is like this, there are many great things about it. We just happen to attract the crazies. We gotta get out of this town.

9 comments:

Beth said...

HOLY #$%&*(!!!!!!! Nicole! Sleep never would have come after that for me! WOW!!! And, laughed SO hard over your cookies. So funny! Lastly, totally relate to your Vegas weather. Our ac was on yesterday---and it was Nov. 1st!!! C-R-A-Z-Y!!! BUT, we are able to do so much outside, comfortably. We could trick-or-treat, and the kids didn't freeze. Friends in UT said their kids gave up after 15 min. It is hot and sometimes not as pretty, but keep embracing it!

Mikki said...

ay-yi-yi!! That's crazy!! I'm glad it wasn't anything worse for you guys, but still, a little too close for comfort I think.

I loved the cookies post too. That's a whole lot of nutmeg!!

The Foulgers said...

Wow, that is crazy! We had a similar experience while living in Vegas. We were outside at a friends house when a guy came walking up to us and said that he had been jumped. We called 911 as well and we never heard what happened to the guy. I'm glad that you guys are alright. I love pumpkin cookies, I'd take some off your hands if I was around!

Nicole said...

oh my goodness! that's crazy!!! i'm glad the guy's okay but i'd be scared to death to answer the door, it's a good thing cristian was there and not out of town like this past summer. i don't think i could open the door to a guy with blood pouring down his face, if i was home alone.

ps- love the butcher knife part :)

Trent and Kristi said...

I am recalling a post you did (or maybe it was a conversation we had - I can't remember) about how you are super paranoid when you are home alone at night - and now I think you have reason to be paranoid! How CRAZY!!! I would have totally freaked out. I'm sorry but I was laughing so hard at your description of this event - even though I know it wasn't funny at all. Wow - I guess you never know what's going to happen in Vegas!

Also - I laughed SO SO hard on the cookie post. I had to have my mom read it too - just because. You seriously crack me up - not because you actually considered any recipe using 12 teaspoons of ANY spice - but how you tried to remedy the situation. You are a crack up!

erin wilson said...

Scary! You need to move to NY where its really safe :)

Sheri said...

Maybe you should invest in a gun instead, ha ha. Good thing their are nice people like you guys around to help.

Brooke said...

Crazy!!!!! I don't even want to type this because I will be jinxing myself, but I've never had crazy stuff like that happen while I've lived here most of my life. something will definitely happen NOW that I said that....

So sorry for your scare and bad experiences!!

Teresa said...

Wow!! Sounds like some sort of hazing event.
The nutmeg still cracks me up.
The weather here is warm this year too. We've just been doing the light jacket thing and we're already in the middle of November.