Sunday, November 11, 2007

Moods

I have an issue that I wonder if I am the only person who notices this and doesn't like it. I have a problem with people assuming they know what mood I am in. At the last job I had, I worked with a man who would walk into the office all the time and say "Smile! It's not that bad!" 9 times out of 10 I would be in a totally fine, neutral mood, and was just focusing on my work. But the fact that he said that, put me in a bad mood and I would want to punch him in the face. Just because I was not smiling so hard hard my teeth wanted to come out of my head meant I was in a bad mood?

I now work with another woman (new job) who I actually love to death and consider her a good friend. She, however, is an addictive personality and sees the world in black and white. I am positive those two personality traits are related. Earlier this week I walked into the break room and busted out into some song, totally out of tune, just being an idiot. She laughed really hard and said "you are in a way better mood than you were yesterday." I was like, what? "Actually, yesterday i felt totally fine."
"No, yesterday you didn't care about anything." She said.
I explained to her that I am a laid-back person and there are some days I just don't have a strong opinion about anything, but that doesn't mean I am in a bad mood. I also proceeded to let her know she is way over-sensitive to the moods of others, because this is not the first time SHE has let ME know what mood I was in. But again, since she is a Black/White person, she always has an opinion.
I am more shades of gray than that. I can be tired, neutral, happy, sleepy, or just content and laid-back, all without feeling like I am in a bad mood. I am not just good mood/bad mood, and I do not like it when other people assume they know my mood. If you want to know my mood, ask me. Anyone else ever notice this about themselves?

13 comments:

Beth said...

That is so funny!!! I think I play the guessing game more with Garrett than he does with me. When I am in a good mood, I think you can tell. And, I think it is equally as obviously when I may just need a moment without anyone talking to me.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Hey Nicole-
Found your blog off of your Facebook page. You are a crack up. I loved all the photos and getting a glimpse into your life these days. What a great couple you guys are. I wish we lived closer so we could be married couple buddies. I know Vic really likes Christian. (he only met you once?? but I'm sure he thinks you're good enough...maybe). Life seems good, you guys appear to be happy and that makes me glad. Feel free to check out our blog jacksonparkcity.blogspot.com
Sending you my love!
Molly Bice jackson

Trent and Kristi said...

YES!!!! I totally can relate. I am more like you that some days I "appear" to be happier than others, and maybe I am, but some days I feel fine and people ask if I'm in a bad mood, but it's like them asking if I'm in a bad mood THEN puts me in a bad mood. Did that make sense? But it's funny that that lady judges your moods like that. Maybe she should be working in a psych office if she can judge moods so well? I think I'm getting better at faking an ALWAYS happy mood however cause as a nurse your patients need you to be happy to matter what even if it's a bad day. I wonder what would happen if I didn't though...probably not a good idea.

Nellie said...

Nicole- I love you. You make me smile.

Brooke said...

I'm so glad you have a blog! I love looking at your pictures. Your hair looks so great. You are such a hottie. Miss you tons, girl. Do I have your email? I had to make my blog private.

Beth said...

another thought. . . it is like saying, "are you not feeling very good. You don't look so good." How do you respond to that?

The Lead Singer said...

Why didn't you punch that guy in the face like you said you wanted to? I would have loved to see that. I bet you pack a mean punch, Mrs. Bell.

I leave for China in a couple of weeks so you better keep writing so that I have something to entertain myself with. Maybe I'll write about how I want to punch all the little Chinese people, or not... cause that would be racist, unless they punched me first. Then it would be self defense.

Jenny Donna said...

NICOLE!!! I understand your mood thing. Sometimes when I am in a calm good mood I become uber mellow which some people construe as there being something wrong. I miss you like crazy!

Jilene said...

hey Nicole! how are you? I got your blog off Kata's. just wanted to see what's up and how you are doing!

Nicole said...

i totally hate that too! it's like when someone will say something about my mood, and be completely wrong and then's there's just no point in defending myself because why should i have too. i hear ya girl! (it sounds bad but) chaulk it up to the fact that people are dumb.

ps- i'm so glad i found your blog!

Heather said...

hey nicole!! I found your blog through missy. Glad to see you're on the blogger bandwagon!!

Jacob&Leisa said...

Wow Nicole-
Its been an easy 10+ years! Its funny how small the world can be! Francessca, Julie, Missy and I keep every so often and I noticed you on Francessca's page!
I love your blog and all your updates and would love to hear more!
Talk to you again soon!
Leisa Newton Wimpee
http://www.jacobwimpeefamily.blogspot.com/

Natalie said...

I'll tell you what mood I'm in...the mood to see one of my most favorite ladies of all time! I miss you I miss you I miss you. Why do you live west and I live east when we are now blissfully married and content and need to play party games together with our husbands? Or discuss our vocal teaching endeavors? Maybe someday we'll live in the same place and open a vocal studio together: Nic and Nat, Nat and Nic, whatever. But until then, we just need to catch up on the phone or via email. I love you, lots. I hope this puts you in a good mood. In fact, I predict it will. And p.s. I promise to invite you to my blog--Victor was real particular about privacy, but you know me, I'm an exhibitionist. Love you! Nattie Sue