Sunday, April 26, 2009

Character Defined.

I meant to do this post a few days ago, and just got busy, so I have run out of steam just a little bit. But I watched the Today show this past Tuesday, and Matt Laur was interviewing Miss California USA (Hereafter known as Miss C., since I don't remember her name) about her controversial answer to Perez Hilton's question about her thoughts on gay marriage. She stated that, in her family, she was raised with the belief that marriage is between a man and a woman, and, basically, that is what she still believes. Well, she got First Runner-Up in the Miss USA pageant, and many people, including Perez Hilton and Donald Trump, speculated that the answer she gave cost her the crown. That very well may be true, we will never know for sure.

I did not see the actual pageant, just the interview two days later. First, Matt Laur interviewed Hilton by Skipe in LA and got his thoughts. He said Miss C. gave the completely wrong answer and made people feel unwelcome at the pageant, and she shouldn't have brought her politics and religion onto the stage. He said a lot of other things as well.

To him I say: YOU are the one who brought YOUR politics into the pageant by asking the question in the first place! You would have loved her and said she did the right thing if she had answered the way YOU wanted her to. She didn't bring her religion into the discussion. Nothing was said about church, God, or Christ in any way. Miss C. only stated what she believed, which she has a right to, and should not be persecuted and slandered for it. (He was shown on his video blog calling her a "dumb *&^$#." Really mature. Awesome.)

To Miss C. I say: GOOD FOR YOU! You stood your ground even when asked if you would answer differently given a second chance. You showed me there is still integrity and character in the world. I do not live in California anymore, but you made me proud of how the location of my childhood represented.

To all of you I say: To me, this is not necessarily about gay marriage, and whether I agree with Miss C.'s opinion on gay marriage. ( I do agree, but that is beside the point for the purpose of this post). It is all about someone taking a stand, in the national spotlight, for what they believe, knowing it would not be a popular one. She stated that as soon as she said her answer, she knew she would not win. Yet she did not back down. She didn't even stay neutral in order to increase her chances of winning by giving what would have been a popular answer, and what Hilton was obviously looking for. She was clear in her beliefs, not derogatory in any way toward homosexuals, she just stated her opinion about it and was done. After working so hard to get as far as she did, that would have been a very hard thing to do, and I can't even imagine that kind of pressure.

In hearing the comments from both Hilton and other judges about "staying neutral if you want to win" and other such things, I thought about how we are a generation, and raising a generation, of people who are not encouraged to stand up for their beliefs. It is really sad how we are encouraged and counseled to seem lukewarm and nuetral on issues so that no one is "offended," and we can gain an advantage by saying what people want to hear. So there doesn't really seem to be any accountability. Guess what. There are ways to disagree with others with respect for their different beliefs. Not everyone has to be unified in everything, we just need to respect our differences, and not judge. Unfortunately, Perez Hilton never got that memo.

I admire Miss C.'s courage, and I hope to have a fraction of that courage if/when I am ever put to the test like that.

Not that I have plans to enter the pageant circuit. You all would love that, wouldn't you? I can see you laughing.

But I think you all know what I mean.

9 comments:

Teresa said...

I completely agree - I think too many these days just go along with the crowd because they don't want to disagree and have someone think less of them. The world seems to have less and less values.
This is a big thing where the kids go to school. I think the kids were there for a week when Layne started calling it the 'hippie school'. In a way I'm glad to have found that in Salt Lake. I want the kids to know others have different ideas and opinions. (Instead of thinking everyone else is just like those in your ward.) It also makes if a challenge for me sometimes. But, it's good to be on your toes - right?

Nicole said...

i completely agree with you! and i bet many other people do too.

Peg and Parker said...

Where are you two? I need your current address for obvious reasons if you read Meg's Blog. Need it ASAP. Not still in vegas are you?

anna banana said...

Great post. I say way to go Miss C as well.

Beth said...

well said, lady! Maybe you just need to be a judge, or a pageant coach. Can you imagine anything more painful?

Natalie said...

Love the post.

But more than the post, LOVE YOU!

I just saw your comment on the blog and was giddy. I just had lunch with Jenny Latimer on Wednesday and we got talking about you and how much I missed you and how I wanted to get back in touch. Let us write emails and reconnect, I wanna hear about South Carolina, I'll tell you what's up with me. It will be a grand ol' reunion!

PS How do you know Kendra Smoot? She's in my ward!

Natalie said...

Love the post.

But more than the post, LOVE YOU!

I just saw your comment on the blog and was giddy. I just had lunch with Jenny Latimer on Wednesday and we got talking about you and how much I missed you and how I wanted to get back in touch. Let us write emails and reconnect, I wanna hear about South Carolina, I'll tell you what's up with me. It will be a grand ol' reunion!

PS How do you know Kendra Smoot? She's in my ward!

Jeremiah Nielson said...

that was written so well nicole.
i loved it and it summed up how i felt too.

where are you guys headed to next? we are moving in a month, how about you? i'd thought about having a last get together before tiffany moves too. am i too late?

hope you're doing great. love, courtney

Evans Family said...

Found your blog on Emily's. Hope you don't mind me peeking in. Since I have your email :) I'll send you an invite to view ours if you want (our blog is private)

I just have to say I agree with this post 100%!!